Wednesday, January 6, 2010

"It's all about the wordplay"*

Girls' Christmas (my "sisters" and I get together every year for a girls-and-kids-only Christmas party) was relocated to my house at the last minute, so I requested that my guests create a sentence with the magnetic poetry kit on my refrigerator. Here's what we came up with (as usual, I put a space in between each magnet to show the creative combinations):

  • love people like they a r e obedient prostitute s (I would think any obedient prostitute is easy to love, so this could be a new logo for world peace or something!)
  • experience perfect pleasure through bald chicken rhythm dance ing (I'd like to see bald chicken rhythm dancing...or on second thought, maybe I wouldn't.)
  • spark random inspiration speak every thought investigate precious emotion (lather, rinse, repeat)
  • electric transgress ion s will burn holy fire (That's what she said!)
  • the devil s skeleton is suck ing seed y sweet & sour soup (Nice alliteration...who knew the devil's skeleton liked Chinese food?)
In other word news, my sister, niece, and nephews are trying to get the word "poink" into mainstream vocabulary. This started when my three-year-0ld nephew told my sister he didn't want to sit in one of the dining-room chairs because it had a "pionk." My sister asked, "What's a poink?" So he showed her a broken chair rung that was sticking into his back. They now use the word regularly.

Poink has actually turned out to be very versatile. It can be a noun, as in the original sense: That needle has a sharp poink. It can be a verb, literally: Ouch! That needle just poinked me. It can be a verb, figuratively: Oh, you just got poinked. It can be an adjective: That needle is very poinky.

I checked out the urban dictionary and found some interesting definitions for poink and poinky. I recommend everyone tries to use poink in a sentence today.

*Jason Mraz (Yup, I'm kind of obsessed with his music lately!)