Wednesday, September 2, 2009

"But still the wars go on as the years go by"*

My nephew and sister showed me this clip of the Ukraine's Got Talent winner and it was so moving I had to share it. (And for once I had something to show my husband on YouTube that he hadn't already seen!)



I won't pretend to understand all the symbolism of the piece (seeing as I've never been to the Ukraine or lived in a war-torn country), but it was certainly impressive. The speed and accuracy with which Ms. Simonova drops, moves, and swipes the sand around the light board is amazing. I love how she layers the images to merge one into another instead of wiping the whole board clean and starting over. Her musical choices (my favorite was Apocalypitca's rendition of Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters") were also effective in setting the tone of the piece and assisting the transitions.

As a writer, I felt like this was a lesson in story-telling. There was so much to learn from this piece: establishing voice and tone, use of symbolism, flawless transitions, engaging multiple senses, drama, story arch, relevance to the real world, emotional connection, character. It was all there. And even though it was on a Ukrainian television show, there was really no language barrier to deal with. I love words and language, but this piece just goes to show that they are limited in ways that art isn't.

What did you think? Oh, and keep an eye out for my next post about another multisensory art form (one I have actually experienced first-hand).

*Guns N' Roses