Monday, September 29, 2008

"And it's one more night in Hollywood"

Technically, I didn't go to Hollywood when I was in LA for the writing conference (I was too busy trying to pick up career tips), but I was close enough to pretend. That's what you do to fit in with the rest of phonies in Hollywood, right? (Again, I wouldn't know anything about that since I was never there!)

Okay, so here are the last few bits of wisdom I'll share:

  • The perfect ending is a surprise and is inevitable
  • Art is in the details
  • Fiction has a higher standard of believability than real life
  • Male energy is action, adventure, fun, and blowing stuff up; female energy is relationships, interaction, beauty of language, and character
  • Use male energy to make things happen and female energy to make people care

Bruce Coville (from his session "Plotting: The Architecture of Story")

  • Try to create some semblance of order in the chaos of the world and within
  • Children are game for anything
  • Yearning is part of what defines all art
  • Use your very guts to spill out your very best

Susan Patron (from her speech "Endings: Surprising and Yet Inevitable)

Okay, that's all I have for now. As my brother would say, "Think about it."

*Counting Crows